Saturday 9 December 2006

It's not all good

In the last week or so I've been playing poorly at best. I'm sitting at tables knowing what I should be doing but I cant quite get my brain and my hands to work together so I find my chips going in when I know they shouldnt be and sitting behind the line when I know i should be putting the pressure on. Having played well (in my opinion) in the SE's €200 game I find myself looking to play in bigger games, be it higher stakes cash games or bigger buy in tournaments and if i don'tr cash in these it slowly kills my bank balance. I know I'm after taking a nice percentage of Lloyd's drogheda game but I don't just want to piss it all away.

I played the jackpot €100 game, 48 runners, finished 13th, no return. Then I played the Sporting Emporium €50 game on thursday, 84 runners this time and again 13th, no return. I played the jackpot game so badly, i was runing well early on then for no reason donked off 6k of my 6k stack in a stupid hand trying to resteal. It was a bad play, and even as I did it I knew it was a bad play, but I just really wanted a big stack and didnt want to have to put in the work over time to get it, so once I'd lost that hand I had to play survival poker and eventually ran out of luck near the final table. Same thing happened at the SE €50 game, I sat down and decided (reasonably correctly) that I was better than most of the players at the table. This was dangerous because I assumed my raises and check-raises would be respected for what they were, but this is not the tournament to get tricky. I had 2,300 of my 4,000 at the break and managed to survive into 13th with some uber-aggressive play and finally stuck it in with A7 on a Q76,5,A board against big blinds 34.

So all in all the above tourneys cost me €165 with reg fee's for no return. I can't do that on a weekly basis, approx €500 per month if I'm not winning, and of late I'm not winning. So for the foreseeable future I'm limiting myself to €50 games, no more jackpot tuesday €100's for me. I've one or two planned exceptions to this rule which will be the Vegas Nights €100 Christmas Game, and the Mayfair Card Club €250 Christmas but I've planned on playing those for a while. STICK TO LOWER STAKES JEFF!!!

No comments: